The Kingdom of Jordan View Basket
To order this holiday brochure for FREE delivery to your home or computer, click the GET THIS FREE button.
Discover the history and sheer beauty of this desert nation
8 DAYS - Starts Aman 28 October 2019
Jordan has fascinated visitors for centuries with its stunning desert landscapes, a plethora of ancient towns and amazing World Heritage sites. It is comfortable, safe and welcoming and is one of the region’s most rewarding destinations.
The local culture of hospitality stems from the country’s deep roots in its Bedouin history. Although modern day Jordan is a relatively new country compared to its larger neighbours, the region has been traversed by camel caravans and Nabataean traders plying the legendary King’s Highway for centuries whilst Roman legions, Muslim armies and the Crusaders have all swept through this ancient land on their journeys of conquest.
Although largely desert, Jordan has lush farming lands, dramatic mountains and beautiful beaches. Crusader castles and ancient churches dot the countryside and there are the enduring sites of Wadi Rum, the Dead Sea and the jewel in the crown of the country’s many antiquities, wonderful Petra, the ancient Nabataean city carved into the pink sandstone cliffs in Jordan’s southwestern desert.
- From Amman, the Jordanian capital, travel north to the ancient city of Jerash, site of an unbroken chain of human occupation dating back more than 6,500 years. Having reached its golden age under Roman rule, it boasts impressive greco-roman ruins.
- Descend to the Dead Sea, whose salt enriched waters are known for their healing properties.
- Swim at Aqaba, which fronts the warm waters of the Red Sea.
- Magnificent Wadi Rum, one of the most spectacuar desert valleys in the Middle East. Spend the night in a luxurious bedouin style encampment, climb sand dunes, and enjoy a camel ride at sunset.
- The ancient Nabataean site of Petra, one of the most celebrated sites in the region. The view of the ancient Treasury building as you enter through the narrow gap in the Siq canyon is breathtaking.
- Enroute back to Amman, visit the imposing 12th Century Shoback Crusader castle and stroll through the ancient villages of Dana and Madaba.
Steve Mortimer heads up Byroads Travel and will be your host on this tour. Steve has nearly 30 years in the travel industry and has travelled to well over 100 countries. He has worked with a number of well‐ known Australian adventure travel companies including 13 years as a Product Manager and Operations Director for Peregrine Adventures. Most recently he has been involved in researching and developing holidays in several different regions of the world, including Latin America and the Middle East where he has lived.
Steve likes nothing better than getting out and about with like‐minded travellers, sharing his knowledge and introducing participants to some of the world’s most interesting places, peoples and cultures. He has been a regular visitor to Mexico over many years and the colour and diversity of the Yucatan peninsula in particular keeps him coming back for more.
With your itinerary you can be confident you'll visit all the 'must see' attractions – and much more, however there are some days when you'll have time to wander and make some of your own discoveries. Throughout the tour local guides are employed to provide a wealth of background information and share their extensive local knowledge.
This brochure covers the regions and holiday types listed below. Click on the links to see more free travel brochures covering the regions and holiday types you are interested in.